1200 South Carbon Street * Marion, Illinois
Sunday School – 9:00AM * Worship – 10:30AM

Sources

Phone and email conversations with the following were invaluable: Kathy Casey, Judith
Fosse, Jack Giles, Jean Johnson, Geri Legg, Tom Logan, Gayla Martini, Rev. David
McChesney, Sue Riggle, J.R. Russell, Linley Scott, Dan Selock, Rev. Dan Whitfield, and
Yvonne Whitfield.

Epigraph: Peterson: Eugene Peterson, The Message (Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress
Publishing Group, 2002), p. 668.

Forward Epigraph: Ibid., pp. 668-669.

Epigraph pg. 2: “Our Invitation” from the program for the dedication services of the new
First Presbyterian Church, October 27, 1935.

pg. 2: charter member list from the program of the Second Annual Celebration of the
Sixty-Fourth founding anniversary, November 7, 1971.

pp. 2-5: Paul A. Frick, “Presbyterian Missionaries Arrived Here In 1839,” The Marion
Daily Republican, 11 July 1953, p. 3.

pp. 2-5: Aurelia Harris, “History of Marion Presbyterian Church,” September, 1991.

pp. 2-5: Other sources were brief histories (no author listed)

Epigraph pg. 7: “Our Invitation” from the program for the dedication services of the new
First Presbyterian Church, October 27, 1935.

pg. 7: “Mortgage burning,” The Marion Daily Republican, January 16, 1973, pg. 5.
Epigraph pg. 10: “A gift opens the way”: Proverbs 18:16.

pg. 10: “Otey clock,” Rue Starr, a newspaper clipping article (source unknown).

pg. 10: Elizabeth Green, “Mysterious stained glass perplexes Presbyterians,” The
Southern Illinoisan. (clipping—no date).

Epigraph pg. 19: “Therefore go”: Matthew 28:19,20.

pg. 19: Frederick Boechner as cited in Robert Benne, Ordinary Saints: An Introduction to
the Christian Life. (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 1988) 106.